Independent dental care in Oxfordshire
If you have coronavirus or think that you may have been in contact with an infected person, then please do not come to the dentist. Please follow the medical guidelines regarding testing and self-isolation. The same applies to any other serious illness.
LATEST COVID UPDATE: 28th November 2021
The latest government guidance for Infection Prevention and Control was published on 24th November 2021 as joint venture between relevant bodies including the Department of Health, the UK Health Security Agency and the Chief Dental Officer. The documents covers Covid-19 and other serious respiratory illnesses like flu, and outlines “respiratory pathways” for patients wishing to access dental care. The document was published before the latest Covid-19 ‘Omicron’ variant B.1.1.529 became widely known and therefore may need to be revised.
Effectively patients will be categorised as high risk or low risk and this will affect how dental care is provided. There will be fewer barriers to low risk patients getting dental treatment.
There are 5 essential requirements to be ‘low risk’:
- Fully vaccinated.
- Regular / recent lateral flow testing.
- No symptoms or reason to believe to be infected with Covid-19.
- No recent contact with infected or possibly infected individual.
- Not travelled to a ‘red list’ country.
We will asking these questions and may need to see proof. Remember the lateral flow test kit is free, with no delivery charge and can be ordered from https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
As more details emerge, Harwell Dental Practice will revise our operating procedures, but with the unknown nature of the new Omicron variant we will always put patient safety first and continue with comprehensive covid precautions.
As a result of coronavirus there will be new ways of working to ensure the health and safety of staff and patients, and these may change as we see how the system operates:
- Patients now have to wait outside to minimise the number within the building and maintain social distancing. Please ring the doorbell and wait; we will open the door as soon as we are ready.
- Hand sanitiser is provided outside the door (& elsewhere); please use it.
- Please attend on your own or if necessary with members of your household “bubble”. Please do not bring non-essential items into the building.
- To avoid contamination risk, please avoid touching surfaces and we are minimising the number of rooms in use.
- To maximise ventilation the practice windows are open; it may be cold in winter.
- Please communicate with us by telephone or email and do not expect to be able to call in person.
- Card payments only; contactless whenever possible.
- Keep 2 metres away from other people, except clinical staff wearing full PPE.
- Due to the Covid-19 constraints we will be seeing fewer patients and providing only limited treatments
Whilst the Covid-19 difficulties continue we have not increased our Practice Plan prices which remain at January 2020 levels.
- Harwell Dental Practice re-opens on 8th June 2020 but it will not be “business as normal”. Coronavirus restrictions mean that we will be seeing far fewer patients per day and we cannot currently find a satisfactory way to provide dental hygienist appointments. At the Government briefing on 23rd June, Chief Medical Officer Professor Whitty noted that: “Dentistry is particularly high risk, because dental work generates a lot of droplets. Dentists have found a way of working in this phase, which will go on for really quite a prolonged period”. BBC June 2020
- To keep both staff and patients safe we also need to buy additional PPE which is in short supply. (We do not get free NHS PPE). Following guidance from the Chief Dental Officer on 28th August 2020 we invested in improved ventilation equipment to aid surgery disinfection between patients.
- As we have a significantly reduced capacity, priority will be given to our existing patients and we will not currently be accepting new patients.
Summary of previous coronavirus updates can be found here
- Dr Michael Bellew GDC 58126
- Mrs Jessie Matson GDC 10758 (retiring 2020)
- Mrs Julie Claridge GDC 113890
- Mrs Alison Bainbridge
Dental Care Plan
We offer independent dentistry only with no NHS contract. We have dental care plans from Practice Plan for adults and children.
Monday 8.30 – 1.00 2.00 – 4.00
Tuesday 8.00 – 1.00 2.00 – 5.00
Wednesday 8.30 – 12.30
Thursday 8.00 – 1.00 2.00 – 5.00
Friday 8.30 – 12.30
We may have to close at short notice due to unexpected coronavirus matters.
Details of out-of-hours care can be found via the practice answerphone
The contents of this website are copyright. Last update 28th November 2021.
Get In Touch
- 01235 831889
We are located on Harwell Science Campus (formerly the Atomic Energy Research Establishment) with free parking by the shops opposite
Harwell Dental Practice
Oxfordshire OX11 0QQ