Independent dental care in Oxfordshire
If you have coronavirus or are suffering any of the symptoms of the disease, like cough, fever, loss of taste or smell, then please do not come to the dentist. Please self-isolate and follow the medical guidelines. NHS 111 is running special dental clinics for covid patients.
Harwell Dental Practice re-opens on 8th June but it will not be “business as normal”. Due to coronavirus restrictions we will be seeing far fewer patients per day and need to close for a disinfecting hour between active treatments. We cannot currently find a satisfactory way to provide dental hygienist appointments. These restrictions will further increase the financial pressure on dental practices already hit by the shutdown. To keep both staff and patients safe we also need to buy additional PPE which is in short supply.
At the Government briefing on 23rd June, Chief Medical Officer Professor Whitty noted that: “Dentistry is particularly high risk, because dental work generates a lot of droplets. Dentists have found a way of working in this phase, which will go on for really quite a prolonged period”.
Thus nobody knows how long this situation will continue.
As a result of coronavirus there will be new ways of working to ensure the health and safety of staff and patients, and these may change as we see how the system operates:
- Patients now have to wait outside to minimise the number within the building and maintain social distancing. Please ring the doorbell and wait; we will open the door as soon as we are ready.
- Hand sanitiser is provided outside the door (& elsewhere); please use it.
- Please attend on your own. If absolutely necessary a second person can accompany the patient into the building but no larger groups. Please do not bring non-essential items into the building.
- To avoid contamination risk, please avoid touching surfaces and if at all possible do not use the toilet. No rinsing or spitting.
- Please communicate with us by telephone or email and do not expect to be able to call in person.
- Card payments only; contactless whenever possible.
- Keep 2 metres away from other people, except clinical staff wearing full PPE.
- Due to the Covid-19 constraints we will be seeing fewer patients and providing only limited treatments
As we have a significantly reduced capacity, priority will be given to our existing patients and we will not currently be accepting new patients.
BBC: Coronavirus: No return to ‘business as usual’ for dentists https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52913826
The British Dental Association have warned (pdf) that “Barely 8% of practices now estimate they can maintain their financial sustainability longer term, in the face of sky high overheads and lower patient numbers.” Harwell Dental Practice is operating at a loss due to the coronavirus constraints.
Summary of previous coronavirus updates can be found here
- Dr Michael Bellew GDC 58126
- Mrs Jessie Matson GDC 10758
- Mrs Julie Claridge GDC 113890
- Mrs Alison Bainbridge GDC 119555
Dental Care Plan
We offer independent dentistry only with no NHS contract. We have dental care plans from Practice Plan for adults and children.
Monday 8.30 – 1.00 2.00 – 4.00
Tuesday 8.00 – 1.00 2.00 – 5.00
Wednesday 8.30 – 12.30
Thursday 8.00 – 1.00 2.00 – 5.00
Friday 8.30 – 12.30
COVID-19 Coronavirus crisis: Closed until 8th June; thereafter our opening hours may vary at short notice due to disinfecting times and the ongoing PPE shortages.
Details of out-of-hours care can be found via the practice answerphone
The contents of this website are copyright. Last update 9th July 2020
Get In Touch
- 01235 831889
We are located on Harwell Science Campus (formerly the Atomic Energy Research Establishment) with free parking by the shops opposite
Harwell Dental Practice
Oxfordshire OX11 0QQ